Finalists Chosen in Intuit's Small Business Big Game Competition
Four finalists have been selected in Intuit’s Small Business Big Game Competition for a chance at a Super Bowl commercial.
In July, Intuit kicked off the competition, encouraging small business owners around the country to enter to win a 30-second Super Bowl commercial – worth an estimated $4 million last year, according to Forbes. After receiving tens of thousands of entries, Intuit conducted interviews to narrow down the field to just 20 businesses. The final four businesses were announced this week, after receiving the highest number of votes from Intuit’s 8,000 employees globally.
The four small businesses are all who remain in the competition to receive their very own 30-second television advertisement that will air during football’s biggest game on Feb. 2. The ultimate winner will be determined by a worldwide online vote between:
- Barley Labs, of Durham, N.C. – Produces all-natural dog treats in various flavors out of recycled barley from a local brewery.
- GoldieBlox, of Oakland, Calif. – Is a toy company inspiring girls to push limits and think outside the box.
- Locally Laid Egg Company, of Duluth, Minn. – Raises hens on pasture to produce healthier poultry and eggs.
- POOP – Natural Dairy Compost, of Nampa, Idaho – Produces natural and odorless composted dairy manure for lawns, gardens and flowerbeds.
“What a wide-ranging and deserving group!” said Brad Smith, Intuit president and chief executive officer. “Tens of thousands of small businesses entered this contest, and these finalists demonstrate the breadth of entrepreneurship across the United States. Although the field is down to just four, this effort shined a light on the contributions and importance of all small business to our economy.”
In addition to vying for the ultimate prize, all four businesses score big no matter what outcome. As finalists they will receive:
- Free, lifetime use of Intuit small business solutions, including Intuit QuickBooks, payroll and payments.
- Professionally produced advertising for their business.
- A meeting and business advice from entrepreneur and reality star Bill Rancic.
- An all-expense paid trip to New York for a big game viewing party held in their honor.
TV personality and entrepreneur Bill Rancic, who is helping to coach the competitors, says he notified the four finalists last week. No stranger to big-stakes competitions (Rancic won season one of Donald Trump’s The Apprentice), Rancic says he felt like Ed McMahon getting to share the good news with the finalists.
“They were stunned. They didn’t think they had a chance. It’s like winning the lottery,” says Rancic. He believes that national retailers from Petco to Home Depot will likely look to get the companies’ products on their shelves before the big game.
Already, the four companies have benefited from their finalist status; Rancic says Locally Laid just held a press conference on the steps of City Hall in St. Paul, Minnesota. The winning company will be announced on January 31. All four of the businesses will receive professionally produced television commercials, but only the winner’s will air on Super Bowl Sunday.
Voting to determine the winning business is now open on Intuit’s competition website, Small Business Big Game.
This is the first year that Intuit has held the Small Business Big Game competition. Rancic says that Intuit CEO Brad Smith is already working on another “big idea” for next year, which will be announced the same day as the winner of the Super Bowl competition.
“The great thing about Brad is that he’s always coming up with creative ideas … Next year, we’ll be helping the small business owner even more,” says Rancic.